Tuesday, January 22, 2008

my bourgeois friend

we grew up together
played in the sandbox
and i can remember
pushing the
merry-go-round
while she sat in
the middle
smiling and laughing

but then we grew up-
together
but we separated
when i went off
to my HBCU
and she rode the
white horse
to harvard

i returned home
with knowledge
able to share
with my friends and family
what college life
was really like
and everybody was
so EXCITED

and she came home
in her mercedes benz
never stepping too far
from the door
because she didn't
"want them damn
project boys to
get a hold of it."

and oh my how
proper she talked
and oh my how
nicely pressed
her blazer
and skirt were
and oh my how
lovely was her
permed hair
which she had
dyed blonde...

black as she was-
it looked kind of
weird to me.
but she called me
a "hater"
and cut our conversation
short when
MR BOSS called her
blackberry phone

and she laughed
her fake laugh
and smiled
her fake smile
and talked
her fake talk
because it was
what pleased
MR BOSS

but i knew the
REAL her-
and i bet MR BOSS
would have a fit
if he knew
under that make up
and dyed blonde hair-
what she really loved
was eating
chitterlings and rice
with BULL hot sauce
and
corn bread and collard greens
with her damn fingers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home